Wednesday, April 14, 2010

tum khubsurat dairon mein rehti ho - Afzal Ahmed Syed

-

You live in beautiful circles
your hair is held
by a round pin
so responsibly

A costly chain
submits itself
to your neck

A watch that is never wrong
lies against your wrist

A delicate belt
embraces your waist

Your feet
are encircled by those shoe-straps
through which you walk on our earth

I will not mention those hidden circles
that might hold you
let them remain just as beautiful
as they are

I have never played on you
the game of taking off clothes
in my imagination
You live in beautiful circles
and I in difficult lines
what can I do for you
but
come running back to you
with the ball in my mouth
that you kicked

-

2 comments:

Siyaah said...

Haven't heard this before. Is this your translation?

Arfi said...

No, it isn't.

This is from http://www.amazon.com/Rococo-Other-Worlds-Selected-Wesleyan/dp/081956933X

I read it in the Annual of Urdu Studies. The translations are by Musharraf Ali Farooqi.